Saturday, July 31, 2010

Hard of Hearing: Chapter 3

Part 1 - 

On a sunny Saturday afternoon, my brother is busily cooking up a roasted vegetable dish. I take a plate, he takes one for himself, and then he opens the back door, to offer a plate up to Klez-Mom, who is busily working away in the garden.

"Mom, I've got some veggies for you!"

Klez-Mom,
"It's the phone for me?"

Brother,
"No, veggies!"

Klez-Mom,
"Who is it?"

Brother,
"I made veggies, and I have some for you."

Klez-Mom,
"Ok!"

A minute passes, and Klez-Mom enters the house, sweaty and covered in soil from the garden.
She hurriedly walks past us.

Klez-Mom,
"So? Where's the phone?"

Part 2 -

In the car with Dad and Klez-Mom, we pull into a gas station. The counter is visible, as is the A&W, and the Tim Hortons in the back.

Dad, referring to seating not usually found in such gas stations,
"Look - they've got seats."

Klez-Mom,
"They've got what?"

Klez-Mom, looks up, scans the staff composed of two South-East Asian men, responds
"Oh, ya, they've got Sikhs."

Part 3 - 

Sitting on the couch with my sister and Klez-Mom, we're watching a new cooking show. Klez-Mom takes a bite out of a cookie.

My sister, referring to the TV show,
"What's this called again?"

Klez-Mom, taking a bite,
"Shortbread."

No comments:

Post a Comment